When ideas collide.

Being ‘down and out’ (due to the cancer stuff) leaves me with plenty of thinking time.  One of the ideas which keeps bubbling up into my thinking is the fact that I stitched brown bottoms and blue tops last year. Consequently, it is difficult to dress in my preferred mono-chromatic theme. So I started setting aside blouse/top fabrics that would look nice with my brown bottoms.  I also keep pushing myself to choose an elder fabric at least once a month. One of the fabrics set aside for brown-coordination is this  lemon-yellow, polyester, tricot-knit circa 2000 (maybe earlier?) It was a lovely knit especially for having been bought off Walmart $1 tables.  I quickly made a top from this fabric; wore it; stained it; and discarded in short order.  Partly the fabric has sat so long in the stash because I’m reluctant to invest the time and effort into a garment which will be worn once or twice. I was perplexed about the fabric’s translucency.  I don’t remember the previous garment being see-through/sheer at all. But when laid upon the ironing board the design on the board cover was clear for all to see.  Along with those ideas was my desire to experiment with some of the styles Peggy Sagers creates by making easy changes to base patterns.  I was very interested in the rouched center-panel style shared during the EZ Spring Fashions broadcast.

Peggy’s version will be easier to examine when you surf to the video.

It seemed like the ideas just collided. Coordinating tops for brown pants + use elderly fabric with questionable translucency+ Peggy Sagers Rouched Center-Panel top = top in wardrobe for immediate wear and if I dislike it after finishing, well it’s no big deal to discard or donate.

Peggy started with Silhouette Pattern 514. Since I am using a knit fabric I started with my fitted Silhouette Patterns #195.  Working from a copy of my fitted front pattern piece, I trimmed away the center front panel 3″ wide at the neck tapering to 2.5″ at the hem.  Following Peggy’s lead, I increased the length of the panel by 1.5.   After quarter marking the center front panel and each side of the front, I serged the panel and fronts together by setting the serger differential on 1.6 and matching the quarter marks.

Your panel can differ in width or length and the serger settings will depend upon your individual serger.

I finished the neckline with FOE before adding short sleeves which were cut using the SP195 pattern but folded up 18″ from the pattern hem line. I trim my armscye and sleeve cap seam allowances to 1/4″ which makes it super easy to join the two at the serger. I’m one who prefers to insert the sleeve flat into the armscye, then stitch the long seam from wrist/arm hem to hip hem. I did add and turn up 1″ for the hem which is topstitched in place.

I admit a little more pressing is in order. Being totally unsure of the fabric’s translucency, I hurried to take photos. I am happy the pics reveal nothing.  I expected the center-front panel to look bad on me.   I know I have a tummy and avoid doing anything to high-light said tummy. I am extremely happy that it doesn’t look bad at all.

This was a super fast experiment. All the parts were already traced and fit.  Even the sleeve pattern was marked for short sleeves. Creating the center-panel pattern-piece took the most time partly because I re-watched the YouTube.  If I don’t count YouTube viewing, I spent maybe an hour. That’s it. Like Peggy says, once  a T-shirt has been fit they are quick and easy to sew.


One thought on “When ideas collide.


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s