I’ve made dresses the last few years to wear at our anniversary dinner. Since anniversary is in the cold winter, I made long sleeves. Because DH requested, I made knee-length. I’m not really satisfied with that particular look. Unlike Peggy Sagers, who I’ve come to admire, I don’t feel the only proportion which matters is length of top compared with length of skirt. Although I do agree that those lengths should vary with the person’s height. I also believe that a person’s weight has a dynamic effect on clothing proportions–because I’ve seen the results on me. Bottom line, now that I’m chubby, I don’t really like these knee-length dresses on me although I did 40 pounds ago. The anniversary dresses were worn once and then languished in my closet unselected for summer because of the long sleeves; unselected in winter because of the knee-length skirt (legs too cold and wind whistling across the nether regions); and always bypassed for something with better proportions. When I changed out seasonal clothing, I decided these should go to the Goodwill. I loved the fabrics though and so just before the trip to make the donation, I pulled them out of the boxes. I had re-evaluated and decided they could easily become blouses which I will wear in the winter.
My first up cycle is a black ITY with all sorts of lovely glittery designs. Great for winter. Initially I had thought of trimming 9″ from the hem and adding a trendy note with black lace. Then I remembered some beads I bought July 2016.
I was particularly fascinated b the black beaded in the upper right corner (and just below). They were, I thin anodized with a metallic coating with colors that reflected the glitter of my dress.
So I cut 9″ off the hem. Then I put painters tape 3″ above the newly cut edge and made fringe by rotary cutting every 1/2″.
My pictures just don’t do them justice. They are glittery, shiny. Bounce the light off in all directions. It really has a holiday appeal.
Possibly, I would wear these with my ‘black, dress jeans’ .
I also have a short black skirt purchased in November and I’m planning on making a flocked/burnout velvet pant using 5682.
I hope I have the pic setting correct. I’m hoping you can click on the pics and see an enlarged view.
Umm, probably enough pics in one post. I have another up cycle that I will share tomorrow.