one in that vibrant green and a second in pure white that works under all my light-colored sheers.
I do want this to be a versatile garment. Even though it is Walmart cheap it could last. It’s 100% polyester and seems to be well sewn. As with the green cami, it was far too long. I didn’t monkey around with the hem. I trimmed off 3″. Set up my serger for a rolled hem and finished it in mere minutes. Makes me wonder what I was thinking with the green! Why did I put all that time into measuring folding, basting and doing it again.
I opted to personalize this white cami through machine embroidery and chose a small design for the center front:
Because this garment is intended to be worn beneath sheers, I wanted the embroidery subtle and chose to embroider all in one color, a very light yellow:
I’m really amazed at how fast my Ruby embroiders. This is a small design with about 3000 stitches. It took less time to embroider than hooping. Hooping was kind of a pain. I prefer to embroider before assembling a garment. Not only does it need to be hooped accurately, but the excess needs to be clipped out-of-the-way and I need to watch closely to be sure things don’t go wrong. Like I said, it’s a pain. I’m so glad that Ruby was finished in about 4 minutes; AND it was done done all done. The embroidery was complete; Ruby clipped all the threads; the garment was assembled and ready for wear!
I’ve already worn the green version (link above). I have to admit, I was impressed. I didn’t experience any static cling. No rustling throughout the day. It didn’t twist; peak; or otherwise misbehave. I concluded that this is not only a very classic garment but probably lifted from an originally expensive version. I decided to do a little lifting myself.
I copied my basic woven block. Then carefully measured the neckline and armscye of both back and front
I used my curve like Peggy Saggers directs. I do admire very specific Saggers techniques even though I disagree with her on other things.
I transferred my measurements to pattern pieces
and then trimmed my basic block, smoothing out those corners into smooth curves.
I plan to leave the front and back waist darts unsewn but will not add any more ease to lower bodice. I think the peplum effect is pretty but generally I want an undergarment to be smooth and not apparent. I do plan to sew the bust dart. Even though it’s an undergarment, I think the extra fit achieved with the curved side seams and bust dart contributes to this cami being as nice to wear as it is. Now, I can copy it anytime I want a new or different colored cami.
With this cami, I’ve started a Walmart Collection. I’m copying finished garments that I purchased from Walmart. Not just any or every garment because most of Walmart’s clothes don’t fit me. But from time to time, a Walmart purchase turns out to be exceptional and deserves to be a permanent part of my wardrobe. I’m calling this one The Walmart Cami.